EIT/FE Exam Thermodynamics Questions
1. An ideal gas experiences a constant pressure process at 206.8 kPa with an increase in volume of 566 Liters. What work is required to cause this volume change ?
2. A 57 Liter volume of AIR is compressed from 1 atmosphere to 1.60 atm. in an isentropic process. What is the final volume of the air if it is further compressed to 208 kPa in an isentropic process ?
3. How much energy is required to heat 2.5 kg of water from 70 C to 95 C at 100 kPa pressure ?
4. A vapor and a liquid can coexist
5. What is the enthalpy of water at 165 C with quality of 97% ?
6. Air at 205 C and 345 kPa is compressed isothermally to one-tenth of its original volume. What is the final pressure ?
7. Four kilograms of nitrogen gas is compressed in a reversible, adiabatic process from 101.325 kPa and 20 C to 506.625 kPa. The compression process follows a polytropic relationship with n=1.4. What work is done on the gas during the compression ?
8. What is the efficiency of an ideal Carnot heat engine cycle operating between 38 C and 482 C ?
9. A Carnot refrigeration cycle operates between -10 C and 23 C. What is its coefficient of performance ?
10. A steam turbine receives 550 kPa steam with an enthalpy of 2955 kJ/kg. The turbine exhausts to 175 kPa and the exhaust steam has an enthalpy of 2765 kJ/kg. What is the energy used by the turbine ?
11. Which of the following is an extensive property ?
12. A 0.71 m3 tank contains 4.5 kg of an ideal gas. The molecular weight of this gas is 44 kg/kmole and the gas temperature is 21oC. What is the gas pressure ?
13. When the pressure of an ideal gas is doubled and the absolute temperature is halved, its volume is:
14. 0.9 kg of hydrogen gas is cooled from 400oC to 350oC in an isometric process. How much heat transfer occurs in this system ?
15. An ideal gas in a frictionless, vertical piston-cylinder device is heated and expands from a volume of 0.04 m3 to 0.10 m3 while the pressure remains constant at 200 kPa. What work is done by the system ?
Answers: 1) B, 2) A, 3) D, 4) E, 5) C, 6) E, 7) E, 8) C, 9) D, 10) B, 11) B 12) A, 13) E, 14) B, 15) C